Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Spring colds

It is almost amusing how I can last the whole winter and fall season without getting sick and then boom- spring comes and I catch a cold. What is up with that? Neither of us- myself or the children got sick this winter, so that's good news. Today, I feel under the weather, and I can see my son starting to catch something. Fortunately, I usually bounce back in 24-48 hours.

So today, I am at home. It's weird. This month, between vacation time, Easter days off and now this, I've spent a lot of time at home. I'm partially working today. I'll spot check email, but I intend to spend the bulk of the day in bed, sleeping this off.

It takes me back to high school. When I would get sick, my friends from school would come out of class and phone me all day long. I would get flowers and visits. The best part of the day was when my dad would come home, because he would run up the stairs to greet me first, kiss my forehead, ask how I was doing and then proceed to wash up before dinner. Dad would ask me if he could bring me my dinner to my room, and often he would sit and talk with me while I ate.

I miss those days. I mean the biggest responsibility was passing school tests, and really that was nothing at all. Funny- as you get older, you feel the effects of real responsibility. I mean, I'm sick and I'm home on my own. Nobody's going to make my chicken soup, nobody's going to bring me a lunch tray. And why should they? I'm a grown woman, and I can fend for myself. My ex didn't even do stuff like that, except perhaps occasionally, but not all that often. I've come not to expect it, and to understand that this is how life is as you get older.

I do fully intend to continue to dote on my children when they are sick, so that when they grow up and look back at their younger years, they will have the same fond memories that I have today.

No comments: