Sunday, April 09, 2006

Mentally Preparing for Monday

Well, this is it. It's Sunday morning. I had a weird stomach bug this weekend, and my sleep patterns are messed up. I need to get my sleep on track before Monday. I'm trying to mentally prepare for the fact that in just over 24 hours, I will be going back into the office after 3 weeks off.

I'm glad I took the time off. I definitely needed it. I'm glad I went to the gym. I'm glad the divorce papers have finally been signed. I'm hoping that the 3 weeks off was enough for me to be able to focus on work yet again. Part of me has missed the office, and the other part has really needed the break so badly. I've never been able to turn the blackberry off and not even be tempted to turn it on again. This was a first for me. The last time I took a few days off (in January), I had to hide the blackberry in the bottom of one of my clothing drawers to keep it out of sight, out of mind. This time, the blackberry was in my night-table, and it wasn't out of sight, but was definitely out of mind. This may not sound like a big deal to most of you, but for me, this is a huge deal. To be able to mentally disconnect from the office like this, without looking back, well, that is a first. I'm hoping I'll be able to keep it up.

That being said, I do miss the routine. In just 3 short weeks, I've lost track of dates etc. Part of the problem is that the blackberry is also my calendar. Without the calendar, I'm a bit disorganized. Time seems to just fly by. It's funny- the last time I was like this was when I was on mat leave. Mat leave taught me that I'm a person that needs structure on a regular basis, or I have trouble keeping organized.

So, here's my plan for Sunday- gym, laundry, pack lunches, spend time with the kids, and prepare for Monday. Sounds like a good wind down day to me. Monday at the office will be nuts catching up on everything. I'm sure I'll be bombarded with emails, meetings etc.

On another note, my knee seems to have healed well, so I'll be able to start taking the train into work again. That means I can clear my email on the way in. Ahhh, I missed my efficient side :-)

No comments: