Friday, April 28, 2006

Special Day

"Mommy- can we have a special day today?"
"What do you mean honey?"
"Can we spend girl time together today, just you and me?"
"Mommy has to work baby"
"But you're not wearing work clothes, that means you're home today"
"But what fun will it be for you at home if mommy has to work all day?"
"It will be fun because we will be home together. I can colour and do puzzles while you work on your computer. I won't bother you. I promise. I just want to be with you..."


Well, how can anyone say no to that? My daughter has never asked this before, and I think this is the first time that she figured out that I was working from home. But how could I say no to her request? She's been an absolute angel. We had breakfast together and then she watched TV while I went on some conference calls. When I was on the computer, she sat here playing with her dollhouse. We just had lunch together, and now I'm back to work, and she's doing puzzles. We do have little conversations in between, but for the most part, it's worked out well. And she seems amazingly happy. It's astounding how little effort it takes to make a child feel so loved. I'm glad she's happy. I'm glad we did this.

Lots of cute girly questions from my daughter today:

"Mommy- why is pink such a beautiful colour? Why do girls love it so much?" "Why are the tulips in our garden finally open? Did God tell them to open and smile at us?"
"Why does the sun shine only on some days? Does that mean God is happy today?"
"Why do girls look better in dresses than in pants?"

Honestly, kids have a million questions. I don't have answers for all of them, but I do try my best. My daughter asks all kinds of questions...At least she keeps me on my toes.

I have the children with me this weekend. Our schedule includes a play date with Mich and her son tonight, a birthday party tomorrow, and a play date with some friends from Markham on Sunday. Pretty busy, but all fun. I'll have to find time to tidy up, do laundry, cook and go to the gym in between all that. Jack of all trades. Mommy, income earner, friend, daughter, cook, cleaner. Sigh. Now I'm tired just thinking of all the things I am :-)

No comments: