Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Baby Talk

Children can be so comical. I do have to say the entertainment factor is loads of fun. I picked up my son from the babysitter today and then we went together to get my daughter from the Montessori school. Those of you who know my daughter know full well that she is the typical girly-girl. Everything is pink, and everything has to be just like a princess. We arrived at the school apparently 5 minutes after she had finished combing her precious long brown hair. My son, who was excited to see her, ran to her and gave her a big hug. After the hug, she put her hand flat on his chest and said "I know you love me, but PLEASE DO NOT touch my hair. I just finished combing it and making it pretty. You need to keep your hands away from me. Just smile and say hello".

I was shocked. Firstly, this was a bit rude and hurtful to my son, and secondly, to see this from a four year old was kind of sick, and kind of funny too. (I know, I feel bad admitting that I was somewhat amused by it, but I guess you had to be there). My son looked at her and said- "you may look pretty, but you are so lucky others cannot smell you." Then she looked at me, waiting for a response. "Well honey, you did kind of hurt his feelings. I thinks hugs are way more important than hair don't you?". I watched her apologize, hug her brother and ask him to forgive her for "not having princess behaviour". I'm rolling my eyes as I'm typing this :-) The drama of a four year old girl. :-)

So, my big accomplishment for today was finishing my taxes and going to the gym. Hooray for accomplishments. I feel like I had a really productive day, so that's good. Chalk one up for the non-existent TO-DO list ;-)

No comments: