Monday, April 17, 2006

Children in the Home Office

I'm working from home today. I had a last minute child care glitch with my ex who was supposed to watch the children so I could go in to work. He says he has the flu, although I'm a bit skeptical (I know- that sounds so mean). I'm just not sure. Part of me is so tempted to call the insurance company and find out if any meds were filled under his name this weekend. The other part says don't bother wasting your time.

So, I've decided to switch my Friday and Monday around this week and work from home today. I'll go into the office on Friday. The only difference is that the children are home with me, which does make conference calls etc a bit more complicated, but I'm sure I'll manage. I always make do with whatever situation comes my way.

As for me, I had a nice weekend. As it turns out, since my ex was sick, I ended up having the children with me for pretty much the whole weekend. That was a bonus. I enjoyed the time with them, and they seem to have enjoyed the time with me. I love it when they reassure me about my parenting. Last night when I was putting them to bed, my daughter whispered in my ear "Mommy- why are you so nice to us, is it because you want us to love you?". My reply "No baby, I'm nice to you because you're my baby and because I will always love you no matter what. It's not to make you love me, it's because I love you". Her smile lit up the room and melted my heart.

If I accomplish nothing else in this world, at least I know that I will have been able to give security and happiness to my innocent 4 year old daughter, at a point in her life where things are changing so often, and personal security is of critical importance to her development. That is just golden.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All i can say is WOW..the strength and determination and courage you show is amazing, and you're an example to all women who are in a similiar situation and also to men as well that there are women like you out there who will not bow down to injustice. Inshallah everything will work out for the best.

ChicagoDesi

shaz said...

Awww- You are so kind. Thank you so much for the vote of confidence. I'm so lucky to have such awesome friends around to support me.

My strength is not my own. It comes from the ones around me who have held me up :-)