Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Back to the Ratrace

Well, I'm back to work. Since I haven't been able to blog, I guess everyone can guess how insanely busy it's been. Just trying to get through the pile of email hell.

For the first time in my life, I actually envy people who get to stay home. When I first took the time off, I wondered what I will do with myself, how will I pass through 3 weeks without a trip planned, or work to do, and without getting bored? To be honest, the time passed well, and I enjoyed myself. My journaling and blogging even helped me learn a thing or two about myself.

On another note, on Sunday, I learned some rather disappointing news from my ex. He took the liberty of telling the children that we filed for divorce, and that mommy and daddy will "no longer be married". I think this was rather unfair, as this type of information would have been easier for the children to hear if it had come from both of us. I always envisioned sitting down with them together to tell them the news. I just thought that would be the most humane way to handle things. The joke, as always, is on me. (When will I learn???)

So, not only did my charming ex take the liberty of breaking the news to the children without my presence, or without consulting me, but he also took the liberty of telling them that their mother and father will likely move on and re-marry and that would mean that the children would likely have a stepmom and stepdad one day. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone what that did to the children.

WHY on earth would anyone tell the children so much at once? Why would you bring potential future partners into the picture when neither of us is even in that space at the moment? Why would you handle the situation in such an insensitive way? These are children...This is not a game.

I'm not surprised that this happened. Nothing surprises me anymore. I can, however, very honestly say that I am very disappointed. I actually had hoped that if nothing else, my ex's love for his children would at least keep him on track, now I'm starting to wonder if that's the case.

It's funny. My doctor once told me that something about danger to children always brings out the tigress in a woman. He said that even the most gentle of women can find strength in themselves to do things that they normally wouldn't where the children are concerned. I had hoped that this would apply to all parents across the board. I'm starting to wonder if it's true that women have a softer spot for their children than men do. I know that this is a very unfair generalization, and I'll probably get slammed by many of my male friends for saying it, but right now, that's what I'm wondering. I'm not saying that men don't care about their children, or that they are bad parents. I know some absolutely fantastic fathers. I'm saying that I think women are more sensitive around the emotional state of their children. Maybe that old stereotype about women being the carers/nurturers isn't so very far off the mark. Maybe I'm wrong...It's just a thought. Any takers on this one?

No comments: