Friday, April 21, 2006

First Phone Call

My son received his first telephone call from a friend. It's not that he hasn't spoken on the phone before, because he has, many times. But usually, the telephone conversations he has are with relatives, or my girlfriend's children during my call. I was really surprised when the phone rang and a little voice enquired if my son was home and available to talk.

I called him to the phone. His eyes were wide and he exclaimed, "It's for me? Really? Who is it?" I told him it was his friend from school, and he just beamed. I handed him the phone and listened to him talking. He told his friend he was really excited to hear from him. He said "isn't this exciting? We're talking on the phone and it's not school time, and we're school friends". It was really cute. My son told his friend that they were best friends, and that they would be for life. Very cute.

I have heard my son speak of this friend before. My son speaks of him fondly. But it was different to have the phone ring and to have a little voice ask for my son. I guess this is just the beginning. When he hits high school, I'm sure I'll be begging him to get off the phone, since I've been there, and my experience tells me that that's how it always goes with teenage kids. In the meantime, I'll sit back and enjoy the excitement with my son who is now proud that his friends are calling and visiting his home. This is after all, our home together.

Maybe I'll have to think of changing the names on my answering machine to reflect that this is not just my home, but the children's home as well. My little babies are growing up.

No comments: