Monday, April 03, 2006

Back Online

Well, that wasn't so bad. I contacted our tech support department, and they were able to replace the motherboard for my laptop. Given, it took a drive downtown, and a few hours of my time, but as a side benefit, I did get to go shopping and have dinner with a friend this evening, so that made the drive out to Toronto worth it. :-)

It's funny- when I spoke to tech support, they told me that it would cost about $800 to fix the computer, and asked if I needed authorization first. I told them that unless they wanted me not to do any more work ever again, I was pretty sure it was ok to proceed. Just bill my cost centre. I mean honestly, what a stupid question. It's not like there is even the possibility that someone in the office would say "no, let's not fix the computer. As punishment, you don't get to do any more work", or better yet "since you're computer doesn't work anymore, we've decided to give you a pink slip". Honestly, sometimes I wonder what people are really thinking when they come up with those screening questions.

So here I am, Monday night. Four more days of vacation left. Back to work next Monday. This went by way too fast. In some ways, I feel like I did nothing at all, in other ways, a lot has happened since I was in the office. Either way, I am partly looking forward to going back, and partly wishing I had more time at home.

If I look at the key accomplishments (so far) for the time off, it would be:
1) Signing the divorce papers
2) Getting the gym routine re-started
3) Getting a good start at re-decorating my bedroom
4) Actually taking time off without making a to-do list. There are days where I read magazines and days where I stared at the ceiling. And, there have been times where I met with friends etc. I can honestly say that I did my very best not to be stressed.

If all goes according to plan, I'll file my taxes tomorrow. Ok - that is a "to do" item, but you can't blame me for having one :-)

No comments: