Saturday, July 15, 2006

Swimming

This is like the highlight of my month. I took my children to visit a friend from the office today. She has a swimming pool in her backyard, and the children had a lot of fun. This friend and I have been trying to get together for quite some time, but for one reason or another, we haven't had the opportunity to catch up. Today, I made it out there, with the children, and we all went into the pool.

For everyone else, having time in a pool is no big deal. Just to give some perspective on this one, it's a very big deal for me. I'm the girl who wore a scarf for 6 years. I'm still very much a Muslim woman, and as a result, I never wear short skirts, I never wear sleeveless dresses, and basically- I try to cover up as much as possible. I'm still for all fine purposes a relatively conservative person.

Unfortunately, as a result, swimming in public pools or public places in a bathing suit is pretty much out of the question. I know it's a bit restrictive lifestyle-wise, but that's just the way it is, at least for now. I haven't been in a bathing suit since my honeymoon (13 years ago), and I have never had the opportunity to go in the water with my children. Both experiences were absolutely incredible, and I have my friend to thank for it.

My children are very much aware of the fact that I don't take them swimming. When I told them we were going to a pool, they immediately asked if their father was coming. I told them no, that I would be coming with them....And they were so excited. It was fun. I'm glad I went.

It's funny. I am so thankful for the wonderful time we had, and to the friend who invited us over. She doesn't have any children of her own, so I'm sure she must have been exhausted after an afternoon with my two children in her pool. Still, she was very hospitable and enthusiastic, and if my children drained her, she didn't show it one bit.

This afternoon's events really did get me thinking about some of the restrictions to the lifestyle of a Muslim woman. OK- So- to my Muslim friends...Feel free to stop reading, and if you do decide to read on, no phone calls please. Leave your comments and disappointment about my thoughts on this blog.

Anyhow...It just seems so restrictive at times. Simple things like swimming in a pool with my children have become a big deal. Any other person reading this will think it's insane that I can't enjoy a simple event like that, without having to go out of my way to find a private pool somewhere...I mean...It almost makes me wonder what the point is of all of it. Maybe all the recent changes in my life have gone to my head and I'm getting out of control. Then again, maybe I'm onto something.

No comments: