Monday, July 10, 2006

One Year in the New Home

I just realized....June 29th marked my one year anniversary in this home. It's amazing how fast time flies. It feels as if I just moved in a couple of months ago, and a year has already gone by. It's also funny how no matter how settled you are, you're never really settled. I'm looking at the bookshelf next to me and noticing the empty shelves. That reminds me. I still have a few books that I haven't unpacked yet. Then again...If I didn't need them in a year, I probably don't need them at all. Food for thought I guess.

So, the house is getting there. I still need help with the gardening, I totally suck at that. And I need help with the snow shoveling, mostly because I hate manual labor. Hmmm...The list is endless, pictures to hang, painting to be done...I could go one, but why bother? A wise friend once reminded me that nobody ever dies with a completed 'to do' list. We all have things left to be done, unfinished business. Moral of the story- let it go, and take it easy. Some things just aren't worth the stress.

So, today, sitting in this house, I'm feeling pretty great. I mean, a year has gone by. The children are much more settled than they were last year. Not perfect, but they are doing well. This is a long process. I am much more settled. I can feel it emotionally. The recent name change was a fantastic move for me. It gave me enormous closure, and it was very empowering. I'm glad I did it.

Since the finalization of the divorce, I've been feeling a lot 'lighter' emotionally....Like I'm ready to move ahead, whatever that might mean. I'm ready to be me again, to face my new challenges, to face life. I'm ready to start with a new chapter. This is a great feeling, and I really hope it lasts. In the meantime, I'll keep working away at making things happier for the children, for me...And at creating a secure and stable home. A happy home after all, makes all the difference in the world.

No comments: