Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Single Moms are the Highest Risk

Single working moms under the age of 35 are in the highest risk category for a heart attack or stress attack. I read this in an article last year. Wow- that's me. I'm in that category. How scary.

The article had outlined that it didn't matter if they were active or not. The stress factor and the sheer quantity of items on their never ending "to do" list put them into this high risk category. Going to the gym helped with stress relief, but it wasn't enough.

I can totally see why single working moms fall into this category. I mean, the average single working mom has no money, no support, children screaming and wailing all day, a tight schedule while they cook, clean, go to work, bathe kids, do grocery, laundry, schedule pick ups and drop offs, and go to bed only to get up and do it all again the next day. I sometimes feel caught up, and I don't even have it as bad as my counterparts. Life is busy as a parent, period. This is regardless of whether you are a single parent, or part of a two parent working household. Stress as a single working mom is a ticket to insanity.

When I first read this report, it really freaked me out. It freaked me out to the point that I was almost paralyzed with the info, convinced that I would fall into the "heart attack category"....Yes I know...My lovely tendency to fall to extremes. :-)

But now, at 34, I've realized something. Although I do fall into that category in many ways, I'm actually better off than I originally thought. While I am a single working mother, I have a great deal more help than my counterparts. I have my parents who have saved me time and time again. They have helped me with my children, and provided me with a great deal of emotional support and stability. They have guided me like nothing else, and I am so grateful for it.

Then there are my friends who are always willing to help me out - whether it's with the children, or just emotional support. And another thing- the fact that my ex is an involved father helps a great deal. I have a lot of time to focus on me, on my housechores, on hanging out with friends. Financially, I have a decent career, so I'm not suffering every day. Yes it's tough, but it could be worse.

So- while I'm 35 and a single career mom, I think I can safely say that I can ease up just a bit on my fears. It doesn't mean I can stop going to the gym or anything, but I can at least trust in the fact that I am much more fortunate than I could have been.

After 35, when I pass the lethal zone, I'll stop going to the gym. :-P Kidding.

No comments: