Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers out there. At the end of the day, we all do the very best we can with the resources we've been given. Some of us manage better than others, some of us have a harder time than others, but mothers are mothers, and we all love our children, and as long as we put in as much as we possibly can to succeed at this role, well, that's all anyone can ask. It's true- any woman can give birth, but it takes a lot more than that to be a mother.

Today, I've especially been thinking of the single moms out there. It's so hard to manage on your own, yet we all do the very best we can. To my single mother counterparts...Chin up...As tough as it can be, just be grateful for the children that you have, and know that all you can do is your very best. As hard as it is to raise children on your own, I truly believe that somewhere along the way there will be balance, and that it will all even out in the end. I am personally hoping that the physical and emotional challenges of being a single mom may one day be offset by the challenges we face as single moms later on down the line, or by the reward of having done it. Perhaps that's just wishful thinking, or perhaps that's my way of keeping my sanity and surviving through each day- knowing that when I look back on this time, it will hopefully have been worth each and every minute. As it stands so far, I can say that it is. Either way, I am eternally grateful for the experience of being a mother, and that I have such incredibly beautiful children to call my own.

As for me, I spent the morning alone with the children. I made them a nice Sunday Brunch at home, and then we spent some time just chatting and cuddling. They made cards for me at school, so I opened them with the children. We then proceeded to the florist to pick flowers for my mother. I had purchased sugar free chocolates from Laura Secord yesterday, so my son gave her the flowers, and my daughter gave her the chocolates. I gave her the hug :-)

So, we spent the afternoon at my mom and dad's place, and now we are back home. I'm doing homework with the children and then it will be bedtime for them. I went to see Mich today as well. Dropped off a small gift for her too. God Bless Mich. She gave me a Burberry cologne for mother's day. Believe it or not, that is the first Mother's Day present I have ever received. I was very touched.

I had originally planned to take the children to the ButterflyConservatory today. But, because the weather was a bit on the chilly side, I decided to save it for another time. It's ok. The main thing for today was getting to see my mom, and we got to do that. Overall, I would say it was a nice day.

No comments: