Thursday, May 04, 2006

Last Minute Schedule Changes

Well- this is exactly what happens when you're a single parent. I got up all ready to work out of our other office today. All good intentions. We are getting ready to leave the house, and I tell the children to go to the washroom. My daughter refuses. No, she says. I can't go because it's hurting too much. WHAT? Since when? This will explain yesterday morning's near "accident"....Oh my God. A first bladder infection....Dang. I didn't anticipate this... OK- so, single mom that I am, I cancel all my morning meetings, get a 10:30 appt with the doctor, and head out to drop my son at school.

We get to the doctors, he sends her for a urine test. That takes forever, cuz she's still refusing to go to the washroom. 20 minutes and an entire screaming/crying session later, she gives in, I feel triumphant and drained all at once, and we head home. It's noon. I've now missed the going away luncheon and my 1:30 meeting is looking pretty bleak. I call and cancel.

And by the time I've fed my daughter lunch, half my day is gone, and now I have to work the entire evening to make it up. I also will have to go to the office tomorrow instead of working from home since I pretty much spent the day out of the office today...And barely worked as of yet.

Sigh**** this is single parenting I guess. But it's ok. I'm drained, but still smiling. Everything has silver lining right? Well, I had an entire day with my daughter and the opportunity to comfort her when she was sick. That makes me amongst the luckiest people in the world. How many single moms can do this? I can. I am blessed.

Well- tomorrow is Friday, and I will have to endure the drive to the office. But like I said, I did get to be there to comfort my daughter. She said "mommy- can we make sure I don't get sick again? I don't like it. I told her we would try our best. I had considered sending her to the doctor's with her father, but she refused to go. She said "nothing is better than mommy's love". Politician. She's funny. Like I said...Rough day, but...Still smiling.

No comments: