Sunday, May 07, 2006

Divorce Party or No Divorce Party?

I called the lawyer this week. I wanted to know the status of where we are at. He said that the first set of papers were filed, and that he is now filing the affadavits, which had to be filed 30 days after the original papers were filed. He said since it's a joint petition for divorce, there will not be any court dates, or any appearances in the judge's chambers. Basically, all we have to wait for is for the papers to appear before the judge so that he can sign them. How long that takes is completely dependent on how backlogged the court systems are right now. Since our divorce is just "paperwork" at this point, we are hoping it shouldn't be much longer. He said anywhere from a couple of weeks to two months, but he thinks it will be less time rather than more.

Well- here we are. Almost at the end of the road. I do believe I'm over it now. Two years has been enough time to get closure. At the same time, I just want the final closure. It's been a long road for me. I went through 11 years of hell in a handbasket, and I just want to know that it's done. If my ex hadn't been so hard on me in recent months, I may have felt more sadness. At this point, his recent stunts have me running for the hills and not even sparing a moment to glance back. To be honest, it's probably a good thing. A blessing in disguise.

I spoke with a couple of friends at the office who know my situation in detail, and they understood how hard this has been for me. Hard to leave in the first place, and then hard dealing with the back and forth of the separation. The tears, the anguish, the pain, the frustration. A few more weeks and it will be over. For those of you around me who have protected me, and made sure that I stayed happy and didn't shed a tear, thank you. I love you all. For those of you who could have been kinder or dealt with me in a more fair or considerate manner...Well...You know how I feel. Disappointment can be huge at times, but I have my good friends to help me through.

But here's the thing...When I spoke to my office friends, they agreed that a divorce party sounds like a great idea. I mean, it's not to celebrate the divorce itself, after all, a failed marriage isn't exactly something to celebrate. But it is to celebrate the end of a very difficult road, and the love that I've received from so many places throughout. It's to celebrate the fact that I have so much to be thankful for, and that yes, you can start over. It's my real New Beginning. What do you think? To have the Divorce party or not?

It would be only my support friends who get to attend. The ones who held me up, the ones who cared and loved. I have another friend who commented "A divorce party? You are so sick. That is just wrong." Well, I guess we know who WON'T be getting an invite...

So- thoughts? Party or no party?

2 comments:

Lt. Dan said...

You already know my vote.

shaz said...

Yes I do :-)

I am going to nominate you as head party planning. Hooray for parties! :-)

I love you- you are one of my awesome supporters. You generally keep quiet, but whenever you do give me advise, it speaks volumes. :-)