Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Why are you Alone Mommy?

My daughter approached me a couple of days after hearing about her dad's upcoming wedding. Bless her soul. Her biggest concern was for me. Apparently, she just realized that her dad would be getting married, which means that I am still on my own. Odd that a 5 year old child would come to that realization, and that it would bother her so much.

She told me that she was sad because her daddy was getting married and that I was alone. I told her I'm not alone. I have my children, my friends, and my family. And she said, "but you don't have a husband". I told her that everybody doesn't need a husband. That I already had lots of people who love me and lots who I love back. My life is very busy, and very happy. But she persisted.

"Every princess needs a prince mommy."

"Honey, I'm happy even without a prince. Every princess does not NEED a prince. When we want one, then it's time to find one. Right now, I'm happy without a prince. And I have you and your brother. A prince AND a princess".

"Mommy, don't be silly, not us. You know what I mean."
"Baby, are you worried about me when you're at your dad's? I'm not all alone. I visit my friends and family. I'm never alone."
"But I want you to have a husband and be happy like my daddy."
"I am happy."
"I want you to have a husband. Isn't there anyone you want to marry?"
"No baby, but tell you what, if you ever find someone that you want me to marry, you let me know".
"I have an idea. Let's go to the mall. We can sit on a bench and watch all the men go by. When we see one with a nice face and nice smile, we can ask HIM to marry you".

DANG! My daughter just taught me how to pick up a man. What the heck is wrong with this world? What do they teach them on 'Dora the Explorer' anyways?

Um- Honey, really, I'm happy, but if I'm ever not, I'll let you know.

I proceeded to relay this story to my friend. He says "Ha. Don't worry about her. Your daughter is totally going to be able to take care of herself in this world".

That's what scares me...

No comments: