Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Tooth Fairy

"Mommy! Mommy! Guess what? The tooth fairy left me 20 BUCKS! She must LOVE ME! Yahoo!"

:)

You would think the child has never seen a $20 bill. Glad I could make him happy. That was one precious moment. The way I see it, if I can't do the Santa thing, at least I can do the tooth fairy, right?

Now my little guy wants me to take him to the bank to open an account so he can deposit his money from the tooth fairy, his money from Eid, and his birthday money. How totally adorable. I'm impressed that he wants the bank account. I didn't see that one coming.

Anyhow, today is mostly errands. I called Honda, and they said that the body work on my car is almost done. Then they have to work on the suspension, wheel alignment, etc. I might get the car back by Friday if I'm lucky. *Might*. To tell you the truth, I feel like I got a bit of a raw deal.

I paid for the insurance plan where they would NOT depreciate the car in their calculations if I were to total the car in the first 18 months. Meaning, if I total the car in the first 18 months, I'm entitled to a new car of equal value. Recall that I bought this car last year. It's only 11 months old. So they would have to use the full un-depreciated value when/if the car is totalled. I think if they were allowed to use the depreciated value, they would have written off the car and given me the cash to buy a new one, but because the cost of replacing the car is significantly higher than the cost of repairs given the original, undepreciated value, it was cheaper for them to fix the car. That means that I'll essentially be driving an 11 month old car that should have been totally written off after the accident. That doesn't exactly make me feel safe, but I don't think there is really much I can do.

My friend had a good idea. Go to Honda, trade in the car after it's fixed and get a new one. But then I add another year of payments to the car. Hmmm. I think I'll hold onto it for now, keep the payments low, and see what happens to me financially this year. Best case scenario, I get rid of it altogether and get a car that I REALLY like. Worst case, I hold onto it for another year.

My back is still brutal. I have a trip to the massage therapist tonight to work on the tailbone. I have a trip to the chiropractor and massage therapist this Thursday as well. And the visits go well into next week. I'll be going into the office late twice a week every week to get some of the chiro visits in. But hey, as long as the pain goes away, I'll be really happy. The time I took off didn't really feel like a vacation given all the pain, but it's ok. I'll make up for it and take vacation again early in February.

Either way, the accident was in 2006. And this is 2007, my year for healing and change. I'm still optimistic, and excited.

No comments: