Sunday, January 28, 2007

Confrontation in Front of an Audience

My ex was supposed to bring the children home at 10am. Supposed to. I called at 10am. He was still at home. I told him to hurry up and get home. I had to be at the portrait studio to get the children's portraits done by noon. I had to shower them and get them dressed first. At 10:55 am, he still wasn't here. I called him again. He was at home, and said he was on his way. I got upset. I told him he was being disrespectful, and after everything I had done for him! He hung up.

At 11:15, the children returned. He was still in his car, and about to drive away when I summoned him to come forward and chat. He got out of the car and came to my porch. I started to ask why he was late. Then I noticed his fiancee. She was there, and had come out of the car. Great. An audience. Not my first choice, but what the heck, I had to have my say. So I said hello to her, and then said "I'm sorry that you have to meet me under these circumstances, but I actually have to speak to my ex husband". She nodded and I continued. I told him that it was unacceptable for him to disrespect my personal life like this. I told him that he had no right to be rude to me and to hang up the phone, especially after everything I did for him. I let him see the children for his event. I even dressed them in their finest and had them waiting 15 minutes early so he wouldn't be late. I sacrificed my time with them without any advance notice, and this is how he thanks me? He gives me a harsh 15 minute window to pick up the children on a Sunday after his visit, yet he allows himself an hour and 15 minutes? How is that fair?

Anyhow, I did manage to stay fully composed throughout this. Then I looked at her and she said that she wanted to thank me for letting the children come yesterday. I told her that I was happy to do it, that these are my children, and that as a good mother, I care for their well being. I also told her that the children have spoken well of her so far, so I don't hold any ill will towards her in any way, and I again apologized that she had to hear all of this. She then said that she personally will make sure that he never brings them back late again, and that he respects me more moving forward. I thanked her for that, and then I turned to him and said "Unfortunately, the one who should be thanking me is the one who asked me for the favour in the first place. He also owes me an apology for hanging up, and for being late". He didn't flinch. Then I said goodbye, and they left.

Nice way to meet the soon to be stepmother, huh? On the plus side, I didn't get a bad vibe from her or anything. She seemed relatively respectful, and didn't step in or anything. I mean, she stayed out of it as much as possible. I do respect her for that.

I think I had every right to tell my ex that he was off limits, even if she was present. If I didn't, this pattern of walking all over me would just continue on and on. Not to say that it won't, but at least they both know I won't be walked over and just take it...or at least I hope they know that.

I should never even give him an inch. Give an inch, take a mile, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you!
s