Saturday, January 27, 2007

50% Shared Custody?

Are you out of your friggin mind!!!??

Well, I know where my ex is going now. He emailed me and asked if he could have the children tonight. He wanted to take them to a family event with his extended family and his fiancee's extended family. An engagement celebration, I think.

My first knee jerk reaction was to say no. It's my time with the kids, so take a hike. But see, here is the deal. I think that would be too mean, and he would just tell the kids that I didn't let them attend his event. So I replied and said yes, but that he couldn't have an extra day with the children just like that, so when he has them on a weekend, I should get a chance to get one of those days back when I have an event to attend. He agreed. I figured it's fair because I accommodated his plans for his upcoming wedding and stuff, and I also didn't hand him extra days on a silver platter. He has to give me that day back. A sort of trade if you will. I've got myself covered, right?

So then he calls on the phone to work out logistics. Pick up/drop off etc. While we are on the phone he brings up my son's hockey. I tell him that his email was rude, and that I haven't been going because of a back injury, but that if he wants to be an idiot and send rude emails, he's welcome to do so. The hockey topic is closed as far as I'm concerned.

Anyhow, he then proceeds to tell me that he (and his lawyer) think that he should be entitled to 50% joint shared custody. Meaning, he sees the kids 50% of the time and I see them 50% of the time. It also means that he wouldn't have to pay child support. I hear him out and I tell him he's nuts. If you think you're entitled to 50% access, bring it on asshole. Remember the time when you beat the heck out of me on a weekly basis? Ya, I think that will work against you. Oh yeah, and remember the time when you tried to choke our child and I left our marriage as a result? Oh ya, and remember how you treat them like crap you negligent piece of dirt? Oh ya, and how about the fact that your kids cannot stand you?

Anyhow, here we have it. He mentioned what his lawyer said, on and on. So, he's seeing a lawyer. Well, so am I. I guess we're in the same headspace, but with total opposite goals. Bring it on. This fight was inevitable anyways. Let's just hope that whatever comes of it, we settle things once and for all.

No comments: