Wednesday, January 24, 2007

EEEEWWWW

I know I'm a mother. I know I'm supposed to tolerate just about anything that comes out of a child and have virtually no issues with it. But, when you're up all night with a child, and you're sleep deprived, and your child complains of tummy ache and you spend and hour an a half rubbing their tummy, only to go downstairs to provide them with gravol, and then, to top it off, when the gravol makes them vomit 4 times, and you somehow find yourself mopping the kitchen floor at 4 am, well, you wonder what the heck you're doing.

There is nothing harder to deal with than a sick child. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It takes a lot of patience, and a lot of love to get through it.

And, I do have to say that nothing is more disgusting than child vomit. Don't get me wrong. I feel bad for him, I took care of him all night, rubbed his little tummy, talked to him till he finally fell asleep at 5am. But still...when I saw all that vomit spread across the kitchen floor (and yes, even the walls), I thought I was going to throw up myself.

Fortunately, this doesn't happen often (touch wood). In my seven years of motherhood, and through two children, I think this might be the 3rd time I've had to deal with vomit (or anything this gross). This would be the second time in my life that I actually had to clean it up. (One time, we managed to make it to the toilet).

So, when I finally went to sleep at 5am, I was exhausted. My big 5 hour vendor meeting was far from my mind. I could send a delegate to that. All I could think of at that point in time was my need for sleep...then I woke up at 7:30am to the sound of two little feet running downstairs "Don't worry....she won't make us go to school today. I threw up, so we can stay home".

Kids are too smart for their own good. But he's right. What kind of mother would I be if I let him go to school, and took the chance that he might start vomiting once he gets there? And who am I kidding? It's not like I would really be able to focus at work if I had sent my little angel off to school while he might still be sick.

Stay home was right. And what a day it's been.

I have no idea how at-home moms can be at home. I've just spent 24 hours confined to the house, and I'm going to climb the walls pretty soon. It's one thing to spend fun time with the children on a weekend. I actually love that time with them. But, it's quite another thing to be in the house all day, all three of us in our jammies, with one child who is sick. (Well, actually, I'm in sweats, but it's practically the same thing).

Back to work tomorrow. Thank God that's over. I welcome the opportunity to spend time with my children....but when they are sick, it's work, and tiring, and not all that fun.

I'm just being honest. I know that all the mothers reading this have their jaws dropping that I could dare to say it. Maybe it's the single parenting thing. I mean, if I were married, I would have a hubby to tag team with at night. I'm not married, so it's just me here, going on 2 hours sleep.

Forgive me if I'm feeling a tad moody. But hey- I am SO glad he is better.

I do have to say, the best part of the day was when I asked him what he could eat:
"How about toast? Or soup? Soup always makes a tummyache better. Can I make some chicken soup?"

"Mommy, nothing makes a sick kid feel better than a mommy's hug".

Awwwwwwwwwwww. And that is why it was all worth it. And that is why I would do it all again, anytime, despite how tough it is, or how bad vomit smells.

No comments: