Sunday, October 01, 2006

Almost 7, but Going on 30

This morning I woke up to the sound of some paper. My son was reading a magazine, which I later found out was my Oprah mag. My daughter was sitting next to him, and all I could hear was "wow this is fabulous!"

Fabulous is a big word for a 6 year old child. I wanted to know what was so "fabulous". My son came running over magazine in hand, saying "mommy, mommy look at this!"

I sat up, put on my glasses and took a look. There before me was a dark wood renovated kitchen. Is this what he wanted to show me? "Honey- this is a kitchen".

"I know mommy. But look it's fabulous, and cool. Look at the dark cupboards and the metal appliances. And it makes sense. Everything is easy to reach when you need it. See the spice racks? See the pots and pans against the walls? See the big stirring spoons? You never have to open a cupboard when you're cooking. And look- see where the stools come up to the counter, they have fruit bowls ready to eat there".

I was stunned. My little guy was analyzing the operational efficiency of a kitchen in an Oprah mag at 7:30am.

"Yes sweetheart. It is fabulous. I love it. Maybe one day we can make our kitchen look like that?" YA right. When I'm a gazillionaire maybe...But why break the kid's heart? :)

"Mommy- this will look good with you in it. You love cooking and stuff...You would have way more fun in this kitchen. I'm going to give you my piggy bank money so you can have the kitchen."

Kids are too cute. I wanted to cry. I told him that he should keep his piggybank, and that maybe one day we will make our kitchen look like that. Maybe one day soon. (OK I'm lying, but still...)

He smiled and said let's see how long it takes, because he really wanted me to have that kitchen.

I'm so shocked. And touched. Man I love these children.

No comments: