Friday, October 06, 2006

All in a Day's Work

I just met with my ex and his lawyer. I do have to say that was an efficient meeting. Maybe 20 minutes. Bottom line- they tried to corner me and see if I was willing to give him more time in exchange for the proper child support amount. THE NERVE!

I basically said that there is no way I would literally sell my children. No way at all. I don't care about the money. I don't care if I bleed to the ground financially. I'm not doing this. I basically told them that they can either pay what they should or he can shoulder the guilt that he scammed his own kids out of proper support.

I learned something else. My ex never told my lawyer that he was an abusive husband. When the lawyer asked if I really wanted to go to court over this, I basically asked him if he knew why I left. When he cited irreconcilable differences, I told him the truth...that my ex was abusive. I saw his jaw drop. Really. Then I asked if he thought I needed a lawyer to represent me in court, because the way I see it, this is a slam dunk for me. How many judges would extend access for an abusive husband, especially when the wife left because he almost choked their child to death? Yes. EXACTLY.

His lawyer basically said that we were done. No need to discuss further.

I'm not sure if that means they will build a case, or if it means he won't pursue this, but I have a very strong feeling its the latter. Either way, let's see what happens.

I'm really hoping I won't have to go through this again, but if I do, I will be very prepared.

In hindsight, I should never have listened to my own lawyer. He recommended that I not file for divorce on the grounds of cruelty (abuse) because it would make things more complicated. I personally think it should have gone on record that our marriage ended because of him.

I'll leave that in the past where it belongs I suppose. Let's just hope one day I'll find greener pastures.

No comments: