Monday, October 09, 2006

The Ifaar Party

I had an Iftaar party (dinner for some of my fasting Muslim friends) yesterday. I haven't hosted for that many people since I've been on my own. This was quite the adventure, and I think, a little daring on my part.

Overall I had fun. I did however learn a couple of things:
  • It is very hard to cook for people when you can't taste the food because you are fasting- even worse when cooking a large quantity of food because if it messes up, you have alot of not so great food on your hands (thank God it all turned out well)
  • My home is way too small to host 40 people. I think it would have been ok if there were 40 adults. But when you're talking 15 kids running around like amazons, it gets a bit tight
  • If you set up a picnic blanket for the kids in front of a TV set, they actually will sit down and be quiet while eating dinner (hooray for Disney movies!)
  • If you fail to wakeup for breakfast at 5am, fast the whole day while cooking and cleaning, you will be drop dead tired by the time you're ready to eat
  • When you're friends insist on doing a potluck, take them up on it :)
  • When you host for a large group of friends, you never get to sit down with any of them :(
  • It is absolutely amazing to have girlfriends that are willing to help you out in the kitchen so you don't get stuck cleaning up on your own :)
Those are my words of wisdom. Still, I am really glad that I had the Iftaar, it was really nice to see my friends, and I feel like I proved to myself that I still have it in me, with or without a man by my side :)

A wise person once told me- friends are the family you choose. How true.

No comments: