Saturday, October 14, 2006

"My Life is so Much Never Fair"

Words from my little 4 year old drama queen. I asked her why her life is "so much never fair", and she said because sometimes you can have friends, and sometimes you end up fighting with them. Sometimes girls gang up on each other. You have to do what they say or they won't play with you anymore. Then you have to play alone. My daughter likes to be the centre of the universe, so she has the never ending stress of trying to please everyone, which means she seldomly gets her way....Hence her sobs about life never being fair.

Cliquish girls at the age of 4. What has this world come to? What will she have to deal with in high school?

I know we all went through it. I remember all too well how mean high school girls can be. High school was funny. In grade 9, I dealt with all the cliquish girls. Life was hard, especially being one of the only Indo Pak girls around. Oddly enough, by grade 11, my high school became Indo Central. By that time it was SO Indian/Pakistani, maybe more than half. Talk about your immigration explosion.

I'm not saying the non- Indos are the problem. I'm just remembering how the cliquish problem ended for me. It was replaced with other issues. When all the different cultures exploded into the school in a mere two years, there was so much racial tension that we had no choice but to join together by culture. But then by grade 12, we had our own cliques again even within our cultural groups. AHHH the cliques. A key part of high school but never really any fun.

Anyhow, she'll grow out of it sometime after university, and no, I'm not kidding. I just want to talk to her a bit and make sure she doesn't live her life as a crowd pleaser. Trust me, my life has taught me that if you live your life to look good for others, you end up....Well, you know- exactly where I am today. Starting over at the age of 34, learning to fight the world for your right to be independent. I only wish I knew then what I know now. Sigh.

Hopefully I can guide my daughter so she doesn't have to make the same mistakes as me. Man. I just shivered. I think my dad has said those exact words to me when I was little. And if I recall correctly, I still had to learn my lessons despite his teachings.

I just shivered again...

No comments: