Monday, December 25, 2006

Happy 7th Birthday Honey!

I emailed my ex on Christmas Eve (yesterday) requesting to see our son. It was after all, his 7th birthday, and although it was my ex's weekend with the children, I am legally entitled to see him on his birthday. My ex responded by saying that I could see him for "just a moment", enough to say hello, give him a hug, and then he would be on his way. I told him that it was cruel of him, and that he should re-read the child access agreement. Later on that day, he wrote back saying that I could see him only if I took both kids, and kept them until the evening of Christmas Day. He obviously made plans in between, but I didn't care. I was going to see my baby after all.

I frantically scrambled to put together some semblance of a family birthday party. My parents agreed to come over, Mich and Rich came with their son, and a few other friends came as well. We ended up making it a pot luck birthday party (I had less than an hour's notice), and I managed to get a birthday cake. In the end, it worked out well. We had dinner, cake, and presents. My son was totally thrilled and he had a blast. Just call me supermom. (With the help of some super friends of course).

Anyhow, we went to visit friends for Christmas lunch today, and then when it was time to take the children back to my ex later this afternoon, he basically told me to keep them until tomorrow. Bonus. I get to have Christmas dinner with the kids too! I took them to my sister's place for dinner, and the kids had fun. I dropped them off at my ex's place late tonight (like 11:30pm) because it was easier for me than doing the early morning drop off he had requested. The meds I'm on are leaving me very groggy in the morning, so I thought it would be best for them to wake up at his place tomorrow. I wasn't sure if I could get up and get them dressed in time tomorrow.

Their big bash birthday party with their dad is tomorrow. They are really looking forward to it. For their sake, I hope they have a good time. I'm resting well with the knowledge that I've done the best I could for my children, given whatever resources I had available to me at the time. All I can ever do is put my best effort in, and the results that come, well, those are pretty much the results that were meant to be. In this case, my son was meant to have a family party. I'm happy to have been part of it.

No comments: