Thursday, March 30, 2006

Downtown for a Day

I spent the day downtown. It's a weird feeling to be walking around the area where I work in the middle of the office day, watching people walk by in business suits, while I'm strolling in my jeans. It was also delicious at the same time. Yes, I feel a little evil for saying it, but then again...It's the truth.

I met up with a friend and we picked out an awesome pair of Gucci Sunglasses. I love them. Consider it a little gift to myself. After that, I met a girlfriend for sushi. I haven't seen her for a week and a half, and I was seriously going through withdrawal symptoms (missed catching up with her), so it was nice to have lunch and chat. I also met up with my friend Graham after that, and then I went to my chiropractor for an adjustment and to my RMT for a massage. Not bad for a day downtown huh?

In the evening I met up with a friend, and we hung out for awhile, and then had dinner together. I always enjoy this friend's company, so it was nice to spend the evening that way.

My chat with my friend Graham was an interesting one. Graham is a therapist by trade, so my catch up sessions with him feel a lot like therapy sessions, but that's another day's discussion :-).

We were talking about behavior patterns of humans in general. He said that I've spent my past focusing on what people think, what the world thinks, and that this has had the strongest control over me. His interesting observation is that it's starting to shift, that I'm making decisions that are right for me and starting to ignore the input of the world around me. He said that we as humans need to keep an eye on where the locus of control is in our lives. People whose locus of control comes from outside themselves (ie-from other people)- will never actually achieve true happiness, because you can never fully satisfy the needs of an external party. People whose locus of control is internal, meaning it comes from within themselves, these people have true control over their lives and are better positioned to achieve true happiness, because the needs of the external parties are almost irrelevant to them. Interesting perspective. I'm going to keep an eye on this one...

No comments: