Thursday, November 02, 2006

Mosque Donations?

Well, isn't this nice? I feel like I'm getting harassed from all angles. But this one, this is really low. So, I got a call tonight following up on a donation to a Mosque here in Mississauga. The weird thing is, I've only heard of this Mosque once in my life, from my ex, who mentioned that he was going there for a prayer one night. Other than that, I've never heard of this place. I'm sure it's some small Mosque in the city, it's definitely not one of the main ones.

So, the call is following up on a pledge that I apparently made for $99 a month. Those of you who are Muslim understand the significance of the number 99- The 99 names of God. Anyhow, they are following up to find out what my preferred method of payment is. So I say, what the--?

I never made a pledge. I don't know you people. Yet, they have my name, address, phone number, and yes- my hotmail address. How does that happen? I get the call, and I'm a bit stumped. I'm not prepared to give money to these people at this time, especially given the fact that I don't know who they are. Firstly, I donate when and where I want to, and secondly, I would check out the organization first. No offense, but Muslim or not, I need to make sure that it's a good mainstream organization and not some weirdo one if you know what I mean. But how do you tell the Mosque people that no you never made the pledge and that you are not willing to make the payment when they clearly have all your contact info? There's no possibility of error-someone definitely gave out my info, otherwise where would they get my email address from? They even know my maiden name which I am now using, and know that my email address is still using the initial of my married name. I mean, come ON. Clearly someone deliberately gave it to them.

So I tell them, no, it's not my pledge. They insist it is, and confirm all the info for the tax receipt. Nope, sorry I never made a pledge. Now this is very embarrassing, I mean, do I go to hell if I turn down the Mosque charity? I'm half joking, but I'm sure you can understand how embarrassing this is. So then they kind of re-confirm the info, and then almost skeptically ask "Are you SURE you didn't make the donation?" Hell ya, and I think I know who did.

I know it's mean to accuse, but you can't blame me for thinking what I'm thinking. I mean, how low is that- setting me up for Mosque payments? I almost couldn't say no to them. That is just so wrong. I want to ask you-know-who if he did this to me, but I can't- it just feels wrong.

So they keep asking again and again. "But how could we have all the info, if you never made the pledge?". Now I'm frustrated and I say- "Well actually, perhaps my ex husband did it as a mean prank. We're not on good terms". Silence. Total silence. Then I continue, "This is as awkward for me as it is for you, but to be honest, I'm a single mom, and I've already donated to another organization this year. I wouldn't lie to you. I was not the one that gave you that info".

Silence. Awkwardness. Please God, just let the lightening strike me now. Please. OK Now. Please...OK...they are still on the line. Anytime now God, anytime.

Then they thank me for my time. Thank God it's over. Thank you God. I promise to pray tomorrow. Don't strike me down with lightening for not paying the money. IF you want to strike anyone, hit the house a few blocks down. I'm sure you'll find the culprit there.

I feel so mean even doing this journal, especially because I'm accusing someone who can't defend himself here. But really, what the heck was that all about? Talk about a mean stunt.

Now I've seen it all.

No comments: