Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Climbing DOWN the Corporate Ladder?

I found this article interesting. I mean, I've definitely heard of people making life choices or life changes, like quitting their corporate jobs to be at home moms, or like leaving the corporate world to become your own boss, even if it means a pay cut. I've heard of people working flex hours to manage crazy schedules. I even fall into this category. But I haven't heard a lot about people deliberately moving DOWN the corporate ladder by choice.

I shouldn't be totally shocked. I mean, when I sat in that hospital bed almost 3 years ago, I actually wondered what had made me so stressed out that I had ended up there. I wondered if it was my job at the time, not because I didn't enjoy it, but because one individual in particular had made my life such hell that I couldn't even admit to people that I was in the hospital. That's a whole other story in itself, but I did conclude that the two things stressing me out were my marriage, and this individual. Fortunately, she left, and life at work went on happily. As for the marriage, well, you know how that decision went.

But what if I had concluded that my job was too stressful? I wonder if I would be the type to willingly take a pay cut and move down into a less demanding job. I'm thinking not. I think my ego wouldn't allow it, but hats off to anyone who can be gloriously self loving enough to do something like that for their own well being.

I'm inclined to be critical and say that I'm not that good to myself, but then again, just to pat my own back, I did stay in my current role longer than I normally would have for 3 reasons, and NONE of them were career advancement. Those 3 reasons were my awesome boss, my awesome colleagues, and lifestyle (specifically, the flexible work environment which has definitely been a Godsend, especially while going through the divorce, and especially as a single mom).

But now, with my boss gone, and with the upcoming re-org at the office (meaning potentially not having the same colleagues and a new boss to boot), the very things that I currently enjoy will likely disappear. I suppose all good things do eventually come to an end, but I will need to figure out what that means for me, and what I should do as a result. I truly don't see any of them remaining in tact at this point in time. Possibly the flexible schedule, but that appears to be a long shot.

Don't get too excited. That doesn't mean I would be willing to climb down the corporate ladder or anything like that. Like I said, I don't think it's for me. I'm a bit too competitive, my ego is a bit too big, and yeah, I need the financial resources to stay in tact, so a pay cut wouldn't be in the cards for me. I would just need to find something that fits my lifestyle needs enough that my children won't be impacted. Here's to hoping...

On that note, maybe I should have gone into teaching or something, instead of going the corporate route. I know- my teacher friends are reading and getting ticked- but seriously- out at 4pm and summers off? Come on! Yes I know you work at night...but HELLO so do I!!! My sis is in teachers college. She is SO on the right track. I'm envying her right now. Then again, having to deal with a bunch of kids all day and then coming home to my own would probably NOT be the best choice for me. Corporate world it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

shaz, i wrote this long rant of a comment and it didn't show up!

shaz said...

ok- but what was the gist? :)