Friday, November 17, 2006

Bad, Bad Mother!

Do you ever have one of those mornings where you know you look bad, and you just don't know how it happened? If someone had one of those secret spy cameras watching me this morning, they would think I'm some horrid mother. No, I wasn't yelling or anything. It's just the small things that were forgotten.

Like- I normally pack my son's lunch the night before. Last night, I didn't, since today is Friday, and I expected to have lots of extra time in the morning. Well, I ran out of time, and forgot that lunch wasn't packed. I ran frantically throwing something together. Then my son reminded me that I forgot to fill out a book order form. We did that quickly. I wrote out a check, selected some books, and threw that into the backpack. Got the kids out the door (barely) and got my son to school (sort of) on time. I say "sort of" because we were 5 minutes late. This is a big deal to me, because I'm never late for school. NEVER. No way. But, I did have some satisfaction from the extra long line of cars trying to drop their kids off, late as well. The rain saved me. My son wouldn't look late, and I wouldn't look like a freak, because the rain had slowed everyone down. Everyone was 5 minutes late, if not more. Thank God for rain. I didn't want to have to sign a late slip.

My daughter insisted that she wanted cheesies this morning. I was adamant that cheesies are not breakfast food. "Eat your cereal please". I was happy to see that she complied, without any further complaining. Little did I know that the Halloween bag had been busted open, and that she had put a bag of cheesies in her coat pocket. Oh yeah. My girl was eating cheesies in the backseat of the car while I was driving. I didn't realize it until we got to school. I took her out of the car, and she said "Mommy- I need to wash my hands. I have cheesies all over them!" Of course, there was another parent nearby, within earshot. And, he was happy to say "Cheesies? That's not breakfast food!" I could feel the sense of judgement and I hated it.

That's right. Great. Why don't you just bite me? Better yet, call the Children's Aid or something. Do you really think I would deliberately feed a 5 year old cheesies for breakfast? And why do you think you have the right to talk so condescendingly Mr. I-think-I'm-a-perfect-father? Please. Mind your own business.

Of course, I didn't say any of this to him. I just smiled and said "Gosh. Don't you hate all those Halloween candies? Kids keep them everywhere! Even in the car! Thank God she had her cereal this morning!"

I think I would have gotten away with it if he didn't see my sipping Diet Pepsi when I got back to the car after dropping her off. Busted. Now I do look like a bad mom. After all, who is going to believe that a mother who drinks Diet Pepsi for breakfast wouldn't let her child eat cheesies for breakfast?

Sigh. OK- Well- it's not like I let HER drink Diet Pepsi in the morning. And the cheesies were eaten without my knowledge. That IS the point, isn't it?

Condescending jerk.

No comments: