Sunday, February 05, 2006

Sunday Night

It's Sunday night, and funny enough (despite the major lack of sleep), I had a pretty good weekend. The children were with me, and despite all my major plans, some of which fell through, I had a nice time with them.

I spent Friday evening and Saturday morning with my girlfriend, her husband, and their son. The children had a blast together, which was great. On Saturday evening, I was supposed to attend a dinner party in Scarborough with the children. That's an hour away from here, but it was with friends that I really wanted to see and we were all looking forward to it. On Saturday evening, there was so much snow and freezing rain in this part of town that I didn't feel safe spending a total of 2 hours (round trip) on the road. I reluctantly cancelled my plans, but felt really crappy about it.

Despite the change in plans, my children and I had an awesome evening. We took a big blanket in front of the TV, busted out some popcorn and cuddled and watched movies. We hung out and played together. It turned out to be a lot of fun.

Today, I took the children to see 'Hoodwinked' with a girlfriend of mine. We had a nice time, and the children REALLY love this friend to the point that they refuse to call her auntie. I told them that it was disrespectful to keep calling her by her first name, but then they explained that they do it because she is "their friend" as opposed to being "my friend". Interesting perspective. I started to protest and tell them that she was my friend first (trying to prove the point that she's older than them and therefore an aunt), and then I realized that I would end up sounding more childish than my 4 year old, so I stopped. Seeing as I lost this one, they will continue to call her by her first name. My friend doesn't seem to mind so it's all fine for now.

Right now, I'm lying on my bed, typing on my computer and my party-animal daughter who refuses to sleep is lying here on my bed with her head resting on the small of my back, and she is singing cute little songs. This is nice. What a nice end to a weekend. Life can be really good sometimes.

No comments: