Sunday, February 26, 2006

Sibling Love

I just had to write about this. This is the first weekend that we ever split the children up. My ex kept my son and I had our daughter for one-on-one bonding time. I had a great weekend with her. It was totally fun.

So this morning my son called to say hello and to ask how I'm doing. I know he loves being with me, because even though he only sees his dad on weekends, he always phones me several times when he's there. I have yet to see him ask to call his dad when he's with me. Not being petty, just observing. It doesn't completely surprise me. My ex has a very harsh personality, so I'm not surprised that he would miss the comforts of home and the love and peace that he gets here. That's just the way that it goes I guess.

So while I was talking to my son, he asked if he could speak to his sister. I could hear them both chatting and I heard my daughter say "I love you and miss you too. I don't ever want to be away from you again"! This melted my heart. I have a girlfriend who is a social worker and when I first left my ex one of her many pieces of advice to me was to make sure that I nurture the children's' bond with eachother, because at the end of the day "they only have eachother". At the time, this comment made me a little sad. I mean, they still have parents, we just don't live together anymore. But now, hearing what I just did, I think I understand what she meant.

For these children, their one consistency is eachother. That's HUGE. No matter what happens, they will be together and will have eachother. For children of a divorced household, a constant stable element like this may just contribute to making them well adjusted. Who knows what will really happen, but I am hoping that it will make the difference.

It's funny. The children's conversation is making me feel a bit better too. It's like I can breathe easy knowing that things will work themselves out for the best. All I have to do is provide a safe and loving home, and the rest should fall into place. That doesn't sound so bad.

It's amazing to see the power of love between children. I remember one time, I heard my son tell my daughter that if "anyone ever bugs you, just let me know, I'll protect you forever". Music to my ears. And you know what? I know its 100% true. He will. At a very young age, I told them that brothers and sisters were forever. When my son told my daughter that he will 'be there forever', he then finished his sentence with "because brothers and sisters are brothers and sisters for life". Now THAT is really promising.

No comments: