Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Clumsy Clumsy Clutz

Well, this was a great start to the day.

I was rushing out of the house to get the children to school, so that I could get to a course for work. Rushing, rushing, rushing, and as bad as it is to admit this, there was also a bit of annoyed yelling. Come on, I'm a single mom. You must have known that I have my high stress moments, especially on the occasional morning trying to get out the door. I am after all, still human.

"Come on guys- we're late. Mommy really can't be late today- Please hurry up! No more toys! Put those away, wash your hands, put on your gloves!".

Why the HECK do they always give you a hard time on the worst days? My team had a learning session today- I really NEEDED to go to make sure the content covered was appropriate and on track. I buckled my daughter into the carseat and ran back into the house for my son. I grabbed his stuff, ran out the door muttering "I'm putting this stuff in the car. When I get back you BETTER have those boots on your feet young man!". My head was turned because I was speaking behind me and as the door slammed shut, I missed a step and slipped. Fortunately, I landed on my feet. Unfortunately, my leg landed one way, and my body turned the other way. I twisted my left knee so badly I don't even think the labour pain from my first born was as excruciating as this. My son came out of the house, I limped to the car, and then realized I couldn't bend my leg. I had to use two hands to bend it to get in the car. This was not a good sign. Not good at all. Stupid high heeled shoes. Stupid snow. Stupid doorstep. Stupid course all the way in Markham. How frustrating.

By the time we got to my son's school, we were 20 minutes late. Nobody was outside, and the pain was getting worse. I couldn't unbend the leg that I bent earlier. This was really bad. So I did something VERY embarrassing- I called the school, told the secretary I was outside in my car and asked her to come and get my son. I told her I couldn't walk in, couldn't sign a late slip, couldn't get out of the car. She was nice enough about it (thank God), and came out to get him. I ended up doing the exact same thing at my daughter's school. Embarrassing, but what other choices did I have?

Well- so much for the course. I called my doctor and went over there. I ended up getting x-rays and I have an ultrasound booked for Thursday night (So much for birthday dinner on Thursday). Anyhow, I'm going back to the doctors on Friday and we might have to book an MRI for the knee. We have no idea what's wrong with the knee, but it's really swollen- 2 inches bigger than the other knee. I'm really hoping this passes, and that it's nothing major. My doctor said it could be anything from a sprain to a torn ligament to a fracture. That means either it will heal on its own, or it will require surgery. I'm voting for the heal on its own. This is a major inconvenience, and the pain is unbearable.

So - I'm supposed to pick up crutches (but I'm still debating that one), and I'm on pain killers and anti-imflammatories till Friday. I won't be in at work tomorrow, and possibly not the rest of the week. Thank God I have my office laptop with me, or this would be too insane.

Why is it that when you really need to get somewhere on time, something always screws up? This is so typical. I am the biggest clutz on the planet. One of my friends commented that I can dress as nice as I want and wear heels, but the whole world knows I'll still be clumsy. Nice. Well, hey- no more heels for me for at least a few weeks. Grannyville here I come.

No comments: