Thursday, February 16, 2006

Knee Acupuncture

Well- I've been back at work for a few days now. I've been trying to take extra precautions- wearing flat shoes, driving into work to avoid the extra walking, parking at one office and scheduling all my meetings in that building instead of walking from one building to the next, but to be really honest, I think I would have been better off if I had waited another week before going back. When I come home at night, the knee gets all swollen again. I think I'm just slowing down the healing which is really bad. On the plus side, I am home Friday, Sat, Sun, so I'm going to park at home, and keep the leg elevated, so I'm hoping it will get better.

Along the theme of trying to heal this knee as fast as I can, I went for acupuncture today. That was totally painful. I'm not sure what made me think sticking a bunch of needles in my knee would actually make the pain go away (rather than just make it increase from the needles), but I think I was hoping it might help in some twisted way. I'm not sure if it did much, but I'm willing to give it one more try. Anything to make it recover faster.

I had two pleasant surprises in the past two days. Yesterday, I came home to find a gift basket sitting on my front porch. As it turns out, my good friend in Ajax heard about my knee and sent me a care basket. That was really thoughtful. It was full of all kinds of snacks, some healthy, others not so healthy, but all of them look yummy. I plan on busting that out over this weekend. This friend is awesome. I think leaving things on my porch is her personal trend. When I was in the hospital two years ago, I came home to a stack of tupperwares full of food sitting on my front porch. She didn't want to disturb me at home, so left it out there, and left me a voicemail saying it was there, so I wouldn't open the door for her. Random kindness. Don't you love it?

Today, my neighbours came back from a trip to Venezuela. I've been keeping an eye on things, salting the driveway, picking up flyers while they were away (well, before the leg thing). They are so awesome. Matt came by to give me a little trinket from their trip. It's a really nice pair of earrings. Some people are so nice. I love having them as neighbours. They are so thoughtful.

So, this morning, I saw a kid shoveling the driveway of one of my neighbours a few houses down. When I start walking again, I'm going to go over and ask them who that was. I'm wondering if I can pay him to do mine. Two reasons for that: Firstly, I'm lazy, and secondly, I'm not exactly walking right now. Hiring a kid to do the work sounds fab.

On another note, the office has been getting really stressful lately. I'm getting a bit tired of some of the garbage politics I'm seeing and my patience is starting to run out. I think that's a sure sign when you need a vacation. I'm thinking I should consider some time off. Refereeing infighting amongst groups isn't exactly my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but there are weeks like this one where you just kind of sigh and say....What the heck am I doing here right now?

Other than that, things are moving along. My parents still haven't left for their vacation yet, and I'm secretly thankful for it. The extra hand here and there has really helped me out a lot. At this rate, I might even be walking normally by the time they actually leave. I'm hoping for that.

No comments: