Sunday, December 02, 2007

Trusting Your Kids to Strangers

Would you EVER let a complete stranger drive away with your child?

I was driving the children to school the other day, and right at the intersection on a side street there was a huge accident. The whole front end of one car was smashed off and the other card drove through a pole into a fence. The car in front of me was a witness who had seen the entire accident and had stopped. I pulled over and asked if they needed a phone. They said yes. I called 911 and requested police and an ambulance. The witness lady said that she had to stay at the scene because she witnessed the whole thing, but that she had a young child to take to school and didn't know what to do. As it turned out, her child went to the same school as my child. I offered to drop off her child, and she accepted. Her daughter (after getting in my car) said she recognized my son. I offered my name, ID and cell number, just so she would be comfortable that I wasn't some crazy, and so she could check to make sure her daughter got there safe, but she declined, since her daughter recognized my son.

I was surprised that she trusted me. If it were me, I would NEVER let some stranger take my children. I would rather let them miss school, or be late for school. I'm flattered that she trusted me, as I suppose that means I don't look like an axe murderer, but STILL.

After dropping the children off, I went back to the scene of the accident, just to let her know that I watched all 3 kids go into the school, and that they were fine.

And then I realized....would you TAKE the responsibility of some stranger's child? I mean, what if something happened to that child, could she have come back to me?

What a scary world we live in, you can't trust anyone these days. Not only should you be cautious with your own children, but I guess you also have to be cautious with other people's children!

No comments: