Friday, December 28, 2007

The Drama of the Desi Community

Only in the desi community do people get offended if they don't get an invite to something. Seriously. This is precisely why we end up having like 800 people at our weddings.

Yes, I am having a tiny birthday party for my son at Chuck E Cheese's on Saturday. Here are the details:
  • I didn't want to have a party at all, but since I had one at home for his sister, I couldn't avoid having one for him
  • I tried to get his dad to throw the party, but his dad opted to throw the party "next year"
  • Having a party at home was not an option for 8 year old boys
  • I didn't want to incur the expense of a party. Correction- I couldn't afford the expense of a party
  • My solution- 5 friends of his choice at Chuck E Cheese's. None of my friends. None of their kids, and NO family either. This would keep costs down
  • So my son picked 6 friends. I said fine. Yes, it's quite possible that you are an awesome friend of mine, but not in the 6 that he chose. What can I do?
  • If you have the nerve to be upset about not getting an invite, then that's up to you. At the end of the day, I think a good friend would understand that financially I cannot dish out $500 for a large birthday party at this time. I opted for the $100 party. Deal with it.
Sheesh. Only desi people would be so weird to get offended over a kid's birthday party. Now I know why I stay away from the community.

Sigh.

No comments: