Monday, December 17, 2007

So I'm Lame...

I worked from home today. But in my defense, traffic was bad, I had no meetings today, and I really didn't feel like driving for MORE than the 1.5 hours that I do each way every day. Three hours of a round trip commute is about all that I can handle on a daily basis, and the thought of it being longer due to bad weather was just unbearable.

On the plus side, I had a very productive day. I cleared my inbox down to 18 items. Not bad at all, if I do say so myself. I was even able to spare 20 minutes to go to my lawyers and drop off another check. Yes boys and girls. I got my year end bonus on Friday, and wrote a check for the ENTIRE amount to my lawyer. That hurt. Big time.

I decided to pick the kids up from school at 3pm. I've been working some Fridays lately, so I haven't been doing much of it. I figured that since I was working from home today, it was a good opportunity to surprise the children. They were so happy to see me. As we ate our after-school snack, they were such little chatterboxes, and they made me laugh. They had chicken noodle soup and hot chocolate to warm them up after school.

Just now, I gave them dinner. Butter chicken and naan that I made yesterday. My son is so accustomed to the butter chicken from Bombay Bhel that he was thrown off by this. His response:

"This isn't really butter chicken. But don't worry mommy. It's very good whatever it is".

Seriously? Whatever it is? It's butter chicken dammit. I followed the recipe to a tee. Just because he is used to it tasting a certain way, doesn't mean this is wrong. I used just the right amount of cream, and I thought it was awesome. And look at the little politician's response- he at least was kind enough to tell me it was good. I think he meant it too, because he ate all of it and asked for more. Hilarious. Even his dad never said anything like that about whatever I cooked. He would eat whatever I made and tell me it was great, even when I knew it didn't turn out quite right. I guess that was one good quality in a not so great guy ... I guess we all have at least SOME good things about us. That was his.

Anyhow, next my son started talking about Mr. NYC. Yes, he's met him. Three times. I introduced him as my friend. I have no idea what made him bring up the topic. But he asked when he will see him again. I told him I wasn't sure. He asked if he is married. I said no, but that he is divorced. My son was shocked. "Who would divorce HIM? He is such a nice man". UM- wow. That was unexpected. I asked him why he said that about him, I mean he doesn't even say that about me. His answer- because I am the one that divorced his dad. Hmmm. I asked how he knew it. He said his dad told him I did the divorce. I asked how he felt. My son then proceeded to ask why I left. "Did he yell at you and hit you too?". I didn't quite know how to respond. So I told him that these were adult matters and were not for children.

Then he went back to Mr. NYC. Does he have kids? How old are they? And then the question that I was afraid of. "Do you like him?". I responded by saying that "yes, he's a good friend". "But do you want to marry him?"

Where the heck does he get this stuff? I only responded by saying that these are adult matters and that right now, I am happy with things the way they are. If anything ever changes, I would let him know.

Maybe next time, I'll let the school bus pick him up from school :D

No comments: