Saturday, December 01, 2007

The Fishie is in Heaven

I actually was caught in meetings/conference calls on Friday and didn't get a chance to get a new fish. And then I forgot. Yes, I forgot. I'm human. These things happen.

So later on, when my kids came home, they saw the empty fish tank and asked where the fish was. I couldn't lie this time. So I told them the truth. My son held back his tears, but I told him that the fish was in Heaven, and that it was probably swimming in a big huge ocean with lots of other happy fishies. I think he felt better. I also told him that whenever he is ready, we can buy a new fish.

Then he asked what I did with it, like how did I dispose of it? I told him the truth- and I felt mighty cold saying it...but I flushed it down the toilet. He didn't say much. I think it helped that I had a good friend over and we were all on our way out the door when this happened. He was busy and distracted.

As we walked out the door I heard my daughter say "How does the fishie get to heaven through the toilet?"

I didn't answer. I acted like I didn't hear it. I mean, what reply could I give to that?

No comments: