Friday, November 09, 2007

No More Children!

Well, I've known it, and been saying it forever. I do not want to have more children, as my hands are full with the ones I have. I've mentioned before that I actually don't even have the desire to have more children. Now I've learned that my children don't want me to have more children. I guess it's nice to know we are all in agreement on this one.

My daughter tonight had a very interesting conversation with me. She asked me how a mother's body knows to develop milk. I told her that it was one of God's gifts. When a mother is pregnant her body develops it, and when the baby grows up, the milk goes away. Then she asked if I had any left. I explained that since she was now six, and hasn't nursed since she was one, that no, I do not have any left. She asked if it would ever come back. I explained that it would only happen if I were to have more children. Then the awkward pause from her, and she says "Oh no, you don't need more children. A baby would bother you." I asked why it would bother me, and she said "It would cry all the time and make you change diapers. You wouldn't like that". I explained that I did it for her, and that diapers are part of life. Then she said "But you have to do homework with us, and the baby would cry and interrupt". Then I explained that I could hold a baby and do homework. She went on to say the baby would poop all over her homework. I explained that a diaper would catch the poop. Then she sighed and said "You just don't need any more kids. You have us. We don't want more kids. We love each other enough and we don't want babies." I smiled and said "Well that's good news because I'm kind of happy with the two I have and I don't think we need more babies either. She beamed. I smiled. She hugged me.

I'm not sure why I played the devil's advocate game. I think I wanted to know if she was thinking I couldn't handle the load of another child (a capacity issue) or if she just didn't want one. (Emotional security/being the baby of the family etc). I think it was the latter.

Interesting how a child's mind thinks. Thank God she didn't ask for another sibling. I'd be up the creek if that happened.

No comments: