Saturday, November 10, 2007

Academics

There is some stuff that I have been trying to deal with that have been really taxing on me for the past two weeks:

1) I've wanted to have my son tested for ADHD since July. In the beginning, my ex refused. When we went to court, the court ordered that the tests should be done, as they are in the best interests of the child (at court, he of course denied refusing them). Anyhow, the process is taking so long that it is mid November, and it looks like he won't even get tested until spring. The person who will head up the tests will be the assessor who is doing the formal assessment on our parenting capabilities etc. I've paid the assessor his retainer, and I am waiting for my ex to do the same. After this guy gets his retainer, he will start work maybe 8 weeks later. So my son's test will be put on the back burner. It's stuff like this that makes me really wish I had full custody. If my hands weren't tied, I would have had the tests done myself by now. The system sucks.

2) My daughter has been doing poorly in school. Her reading and writing skills fall below even the ESL students. I find this scary. I am an anal mother. I do homework every night. The therapist thinks there is a possibility of her being dyslexic. I have spent the past two weeks frustrated to death, because again, I cannot do anything for these children without my ex's permission, which is impossible to get, or a court order which is timely and costly to get. I spoke to my daughter's school and we are still trying to determine if it is a learning disorder, or if she is behind because she had to make the switch from a Montessori environment (which is learn through play) to a public school (which is structured learning). The teacher and the principal think the issue is the latter- the change in environments. I hope they are right. No, I'm PRAYING that they are right.

I had a small meltdown earlier this week. Thank God for my good friend who happened to call me at night, while I was lying in bed crying. When I answered the phone and heard her voice, I knew I would feel better after talking to her. I was right. Thank God for good people.

Today, my girlfriend and I (she is a teacher) are going shopping. I'm hoping she will be able to help me find the right books/tools to help get my daughter back on track as well. I have to start right at the beginning with her, but I'm totally willing to do it. Anything for my babies.

No comments: