Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Mother's Little White Lies

"Mommy! Mommy! My fishie died!"

My son was in tears. "He was my only pet".... and this, right before leaving for school on the morning of a storm. I sometimes wonder if I will EVER be equipped to deal with this stuff. Sigh.

"Baby, he's not dead. He's sleeping."

"No way- he's all curled up and lying on the ground. Fishies don't do that!"

"Well that's cuz I gave him medicine. He was sick last night so I gave him fishie medicine. The bottle said he needs to sleep it off for 24 hours. He should be fine by the time you get home from school."

"He's not dead?"

"No baby, don't be silly. He's sleeping. What do I do when you're sick?"

"Make me take medicine and sleep all day."

"Ok, so like I said, fishie will be just fine."

"I love you mommy. I hope you're right".

Then today, I went at lunchtime to the pet store. They had Japanese fighter fish, but not in the same colour. I did not anticipate this problem.

So I go to pet store #2. Same issue. Next, I go to Wal-Mart. Jackpot. I buy the fish, I come home. I clean the fish tank, I put in the new fish (after flushing the other one down the toilet). They look identical. He will never know the difference.

Don't judge me. You didn't see him crying. It broke my heart.

I'm secretly a superhero. Albeit one that occasionally tells little white lies. But still a superhero nontheless.

No comments: