Sunday, February 04, 2007

His Nikkah, my Freedom

Well, I suppose that's the end of an era. Finally. It took long enough. Yesterday, my ex had his Nikkah Ceremony at a local mosque. For my non-Muslim friends, that basically means that he's done his religious vows (actually, his civil vows too, considering the paperwork would have to be done at the same time as the Nikkah), so he's officially a married man. Thank God for that.

He's still planning on having a big Walima reception in March. I guess a few weeks' notice wasn't enough time to book a banquet hall or something. They are going the Indian route (or at least pretending to) which basically means that the community doesn't consider you married until you have the Ruksati, or basically the wedding party. Either way, he's married now, and he did "officially" go home with her on Saturday night, according to my children. I guess he made arrangements for my children to stay at his mother's place that night. Slumber party for the kids while their dad has a slumber party of his own :)

I actually spoke to my former sister in law on Friday morning. She called me to see how I was doing, and she asked how I felt about the wedding. I told her I was perfectly fine. I'm starting to get the feeling that people are pitying me. Please don't. Save your pity for someone else, it's really being wasted on me. Honest. But anyhow, she was a sweetheart for calling me and checking in. Apparently, according to my former sis in law, my ex just met this girl in January. I am having a really hard time understanding how he can make such a major decision that fast. I mean, that is like only weeks. Some of us play it cautious, and others, well...they do what he did.

Anyhow, my friend from New York came down this weekend, so we kept busy. He deliberately asked that we go to an Indian movie on Saturday night. I think this was his way of keeping my mind occupied during the time of my ex's vows. I think the entire world seems to think that I will be having a hard time dealing with this. Relax guys, I'm totally happy about it. Honest. My freedom is all I can think of right now.

So, the Indian movie, Salaam E Ishq, was a very long movie, and very slow to start. I'm talking like 4 hours long. To be honest, I haven't been to many Indian movies, and I was about ready to leave after the first hour. It did get better in the second half of the movie. I did feel a bit weird because I think every Indo-Pak in Mississauga desi-town must have been piled into that theatre to see the movie. Wow, all the people I like to avoid crammed into one room. Nice.

Today after I picked the children up from the babysitter, I took my son for his belt grading for Tae Kwan Do. He passed and reached his advance yellow. He was very excited. I am still amazed at how cool it is that he gets to do this after school instead of going to a babysitter and watching TV. He gets the activity, and a skill. Who knows? By the time he's done grade school, he might get up there in the belt colours. Imagine if he reaches a black belt at a really young age. Now THAT would be cool. I love the sport because it teaches him focus, discipline, and respect. And yeah, it sure beats the heck out of watching TV after school.

No comments: