Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Mothers are Awesome

I get a phone call every day at 5:15pm. It's from my mom, and she calls religiously every weekday to find out whether or not I will make it in time to get the children. If she hears that I'm running late, she tries to get them for me. I always try my best to get the children myself. It isn't fair for my parents to carry the burden for me. (Did I mention that she has 2 bad knees and is due for knee surgery? The woman can barely walk, but she will go out of her way to help me if she can. Unbelieveable!)

I do have to say, there is something incredibly comforting about the fact that she is always there for me. And I don't mean comfort from a scheduling perspective. I mean, COMFORTING, like what you feel after eating a homemade plate of lamb biryani, or if you're NOT desi, home made chicken soup, or whatever other comfort food does it for you.

My mom calls because she cares about me. Because somewhere amongst her daily stresses, she has chosen to add my well being to the list of important things in her life. I will re-iterate that this is not her responsibility. It's mine. What I find so awesome is that she cares so much for ME that my well being is always on her mind. And that my friends, is a mother. No matter how much you tell her not to worry, no matter how much you tell her you are fine, she will always be there letting you know you have her. I am SO blessed.

In many ways, this is what I'm trying to do for my children. In two days, I will start day one of a year and a half long court battle, because the children matter. My mom taught me well, and she doesn't even realize it. I don't know if I can ever be as unconditionally loving or as selfless as she is, but I do know that I have the best role model to use as a guide.

I love my mom. I am so blessed. No matter what happens on Thursday, I have alot to be thankful for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand exactly what you mean....my mom is the same.
I wish you luck but god willing everything will go fine. There is a time and place for everything and everything happens for a reason! Believe in yourself and in God and all will be well!
love you lots....