Sunday, September 30, 2007

Dinner with Friends

I actually got to laugh tonight. Like laugh. Like my throat hurts. It's been awhile. I haven't had a chance to be immature and laugh at plain stupidity. Tonight was one of those nights.

30 people gathered in a restaurant here in the burbs to have dinner. I knew about half of them myself and by the time the evening was over, I got to know almost all of them. One person there was none other than Fatima. I know what you're thinking, but it's complicated. We started off sitting at different ends of the restaurant, each minding our own business. By the end of the night, someone got us together, got a pic of us and said "this one is for Facebook". Well if my ex, oh- sorry- OUR ex doesn't know we walk the same circles yet, he will know it now.

We went back to a friend's place for coffee afterwards. Everyone was chatting and somehow halfway through, someone randomly asked me "So, how do you know Fatima?". I froze. I looked at her. She looked stunned. Then I laughed, turned to her and said "go ahead". She told them "We share the same ex husband". Pin drop silence.

The rest of the evening was all jokes.
-OMG you guys should be on the Jerry Springer show!
-What? Two women who have one ex and don't hate each other, man you are a first for our community
-Do you share notes about his...performance?
-Man- I would hate to be him....
-You guys should co-author a book...

I feel like the town circus. But to be honest, with just 3 days left till court, it was kind of nice to be able to laugh at my own situation. I mean, you're either going to laugh or cry, and to be honest, I've done enough crying lately.

And let's face it. For Fatima to come forward and document all the things she experienced during her marriage in an affidavit to help me and the children was her going above and beyond what most people would do. And to be honest, it's more than many of my friends bothered to do. I guess in the end, I have some things to be grateful for. She could have filed her case, taken off, and never looked back. But she didn't. THANK GOD that she didn't. Her affidavit is a strong piece of evidence showing that my ex is still a risk to the kids. I needed her and I am grateful for the help.

Anyhow, I've been living in the twilight zone lately. This was just another evening, in the Twilight Zone. (Insert creepy Twilight Zone Music)....

No comments: