Friday, September 14, 2007

Businessman or Con-man?

It's my son I'm talking about here. So here is the story- we went to a dollar store the other day, and he picked up this totally disgusting squishy skull. When you squeeze it, blood and bugs come crawling out of the eye in some puss ball. Very gross, but typical boy thing I suppose. Anyhow, he loved it, and for a buck, I figured, why not?

Anyhow- My son goes to school the next day. His friends go nuts over it. My son sells the skull to his friend for $5. He comes home and tells me this. I ask him how he felt conning his own friend. "Don't you think you should have just offered to go to the store and pick up another skull and let him have it for a dollar? After all, he is your FRIEND".

"No mom! I have a better idea! I'm going to go to the store, buy 5 more, and sell each for 5 dollars!".

OK- I'm scared. I have visions of mothers calling me yelling over my con artist child. I mean, on the one hand I admire his sense of, I don't know- entrepreneurial nature, or at least how he thinks about money, but on the other, where the heck is his sense of loyalty to his friends? I asked him if he told his friend that he only got the skull for a bargain deal of $1 and he says yes. OK- well, so he's not a full-on con man, just an honest one if that's possible.

Anyhow, I'm not taking him to the store to buy any more. That resolves that problem.

Men.

No comments: