Sunday, September 17, 2006

One Week 'Till Ramadan

Where do the weekends go?? I spent some time with friends on Saturday night, went to a baby shower, went to the gym, cleaned the house...And now it's over :(

Either way, at least the house is clean :) And because of my 15 minute a night routine, it took me only 2 hours this weekend to get all caught up. Moving forward, my 15 minutes should keep everything maintained. Hooray for less stress!

Ramadan starts next weekend. I'm feeling different than I did last year, but not anywhere near where I would like to be. Like I've mentioned many times, my faith has taken a major beating since my separation. It's slowly coming back, but really slowly.

So last year, I was unfortunately, dreading Ramadan. Fasting was just another glitch in my schedule, because it meant a break in routine to break fast and as a single mom rushing to pickup kids on time after work, there was no time for that. That coupled with the headaches from the lack of water, I really didn't want Ramadan to come around. Half way through the month, I had to stop fasting anyways, because my ulcer flared up and caused major problems for me.

This year, I'm not dreading Ramadan. I'm not exactly excited about it either, but I'm trying my best to embrace it. I'm not fearing the "inconvenience" of the schedule, because I know I have some options available to me. I am scheduling social events in Ramadan, including hosting a few fast-breaking dinner parties at my place, so that's an enormous change.

Last year, I lived like a hermit in Ramadan, and avoided parties, mosques, and people. This year, I'm also really looking forward to Eid, so although my faith is nowhere near where I want it to be, I think it is definitely on the right track.

Maybe by next year I will be even closer to where I would like to be. Maybe...

No comments: