Saturday, December 31, 2005

Snobby Hijabi

OK - I know- I'm going to get a million comments on this one. The funny thing is that so many of you pick up the phone and call me to talk about my blog instead of posting a comment! Come on- share your opinions right here...That's the point!

So I have a real beef with all the Muslim women who start wearing their hijaabs (headscarfs) and then somehow miraculously think they are better than the rest of the world. What the heck is the deal with that? I just don't get it. Isn't the whole point to become more pious? Where the heck did the judgmental snobbery come from anyways? I mean, I wore a hijaab for close to 7 years, so I was part of that scarf clique, and you know what? I don't think any of my close friends were guilty of it, but I did see many people at all those Islamic conferences who definitely were. So what's the deal? Does that little piece of cloth in your head give you an easy ticket to heaven or something? How stupid could you women be? Please, loosen the scarves...I think you guys have tied them on a little too tight, and you've obviously blocked the blood circulation to your brains.

I have a cousin who for years wanted to wear the hijaab, and she finally started a few years back. She had to fight with her family to let her make her own choices, etc etc etc. I've been there and done all that, so I'm not really interested in the big drama queen sob story.

The weird thing was, once she started, she developed this massive attitude, like she was better than the rest of the world, like she was going to heaven and everyone else on the planet who was non Muslim or scarf free was destined for hell. What the heck is up with that? Holy change of personality. For the record, it's exactly this type of stupidity that makes the Muslim community look like such a bunch of freaks. I think its the responsibility of the "normal" Muslims to put a stop to this stupidity in our community. I've personally made a point of pointing out people's arrogance in conversations like this, but here's the deal. I just realized this- Since I stopped wearing the hijaab, my opinions don't count. It's like I'm invisible or something. I can almost read everyone's minds when I talk "Oh look the former scarf girl is taking, well, since she's destined for hell, let's ignore her comments, she's obviously not a very good Muslim, so let's ignore what she has to say".

Let me remind all of you that at the end of the day, none of us know who amongst us is truly a good person, and who is not. Having lived my life as a facade for 11 years, I know all too well that all of us are fully capable of hiding what we really are. And yes, while some of you do sport headscarfs, there are many of you who are spending a good chunk of your time backbiting, lying, cheating, etc. So really, kick your arrogant attitudes to the curb. Wake up and smell the Arabian coffee. You people are idiots and if you really think that a piece of cloth alone will fly you to heaven, then really, sooner or later, someone will poke a hole in your delusional scarf views and bring you back to reality.

Let's all cut the crap and ground ourselves. Faith is more than a cloth. It's more than the amount of hairs in your beards, and for the record, the length of your beard if you are a man is not directly proportional to your chances of getting into heaven. The key to being a good person is just that- being a good person. It means respecting others - Muslim or not, hijaab wearers or non wearers. It means ensuring that your disposition, your attitude, your character, and the morals that guide you are worthy of the respect and admiration of those around you. I think we all need to make a better collective effort on this one.

In the meantime, I'm going to refrain from further confrontations with the Muslim community (for the record, I think I'm on a black list somewhere). I think I'll stay away for a little while longer, so I can continue on my ignorant path, unaware of what the community really thinks of me. You know what they say about ignorance being bliss, right?

2 comments:

Lt. Dan said...

It's not just Muslims, obviously. I grew up in a very Christian family (though I'm certainly an atheist now), so I could see how many people considered themselves good people because they showed up for church once a month or hung a cross from their rearview mirror. As you pointed out, devoutly following the traditions of a religion doesn't make you a good person, but I suppose that devoutly following the teachings might.

Personally, I think it'd be a good start if we just all held the frickin' doors open for each other...

shaz said...

Hold doors open for people? What is that? I think you would need to start a new religion to get that one to take off. I am so sarcastic :-)