Wednesday, December 28, 2005

At Home with 3 Kids

My friend had to work and had some last minute daycare complications, so I suggested that she drop her son off at my place instead of sweating it. I had other plans with the children and a girlfriend of mine, but I've moved them to tomorrow. Besides, the children are having a blast, so its all good.

I also actually like the dynamics of having my children's friends over. It makes my children feel even more like this is their home, when they are allowed to have their playfriends over and they are allowed to spend the day doing whatever they wish in their space. Either way, I don't mind at all. I can hear them laughing downstairs as I'm typing away, and at one point, I heard a little mini argument. And then I heard my son say- well if we go up and tell mom, she will just take the toy away and nobody will get it, so let's take turns before that happens. Then I heard a "yeah" from my daughter and their friend and now its laughter and play again. I love it when children learn to settle their own scores. It makes life so much easier for everyone.

As for me, I'm just going to spend the day going through my 'to do' list. I have to clean out my God forsaken closet, and I'm going to give away all the stuff I don't wear anymore...Then I can have closet space for new stuff (kidding), but at least it won't feel so disorganized.

An interesting dynamic I've noticed with my daughter. When she's with little girls, she is the girliest thing on the planet, but when she's playing with boys (like today), she can get right in there and hold her own. I think she's like me. My friends always joked around about how I was either a typical girl or just one of the boys. True. I see it in my daughter too. Not commenting on whether it's good or bad, it's just an observation.

Anyhow, I'm off. I've been beckoned to put together the hot wheels mega crash racing track set. The thing has instructions so long I think it was deliberately some child hating person's revenge on parents. I have no idea who comes up with these toys, but really, please sell them assembled. Some of us don't have the patience for this garbage. I find myself cursing when I'm assembling furniture...Must it be the same when assembling a child's toys?

No comments: