Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Diva Dinner

My younger sister amazes me. I just got home from a little dinner party at her place (out in bloody Pickering- halfway across the world). It was a really nice evening. She had invited 4 of her friends (5 of us in total) over for dinner. The attire was semi-formal, and dinner was, well, very formal. It was fun. It was really nice. And what amazes me is my sister's ability to pull it off, and even more, how incredibly different the two of us can be.

You see, my sister is a mini Martha Stewart. She loves to decorate, loves to do the formal dinner party thing with everything set to perfection- the table, the candles, the flatware, the meal. She had this dinner table setup with raw silk placemats and dinner napkins laced with crystal beads and candles at the table and crystal glasses and silverware etc. Everything was awesome, and it was really nice to have a formal dinner like that with girlfriends for no other reason, than well, just because.

The difference between us is that it would be waaaay too much trouble for me to do all that. Maybe it's the children factor, or maybe it's just the personality difference. Either way, I know that unless it was a formal occasion, I wouldn't go to the trouble, but I also know that her amazing ability to do it just to have fun and not to wait for an excuse really impresses me. It's like this little part of her that says "hey, live a little". Really really neat. The funny thing is, she actually had to tell me to make sure I didn't show up in my jeans. It's hilarious because most people in my office probably don't even think I OWN a pair of jeans, yet my sis knows me well enough to know any moment spent out of the office will be spent in jeans if I can help it.

Either way, it was nice. My sister's ability to put together such an immaculate evening was impressive, and inspiring all at the same time. I admire her. She has these little hobbies that bring her great pleasure and she sticks to them. She's creative and giving. Who else would call a bunch of friends over and work that hard just to see everyone hang out and have a formal event for no other reason than to be able to toast "to being divas". Very adorable, very chic, and definitely very inspiring.

No comments: