Friday, December 09, 2005

The Snow

I really don't like snow. It's nice to look at, but really- who needs it? I'm not a fan of manual labour, so shoveling the stuff isn't my cup of tea. Interesting how your perspective changes when you become an adult. When I was little, I loved snow days...It was the best fun of all. I would build a snowfort with steps to the top (naturally the princess got to sit at the top)....My brother would whip snowballs at me and I would find my way inside...But it was all good fun.

Today my children asked about what I did in the snow when I was little. I told them the stories and they looked at me in disbelief. "A snow fort? YOU? Mommy that is so cool- do you STILL know how to do that?" Sadly, they made a passing comment about how I hate shoveling snow so how could I possibly ever have liked playing in it? Sad, but true I guess. I don't like the cold. Maybe I'm just getting old.

So anyways, today is Friday- which means I was able to pick my son up from school. When I went to the school to get him, the Vice Principal and I were chatting and she mentioned that my son had a detention on Monday at recess. I asked her why and she said it was for throwing snow IN THE SCHOOL. Ok- well, this is his first detention, so not a huge deal, and truthfully, I had many in my life, and I turned out a straight A student, so I'm not really concerned.

As we were walking back to the car, I asked my son how his day was. He said it was great. I asked how he enjoyed the snow (I was trying to prompt him to tell me what happened), he said he loved the snow. So I asked "does snow belong inside or outside?"....He looked at me and said...."How do you always know? The snow was on my friend's boot when he came back in, so we scraped it off and then thought it would be fun to start throwing it around". OK- well, at least he told, and to be honest, I had thought he was bringing the snow inside in his pocket or something. This wasn't so bad. He is, after all, only six years old. I had to try to contain my laughter.

I'm not a big fan of torturing a child, so since he knows that I'm not impressed with the detention, and we talked about it, I decided to let it go. He promised that he wouldn't do this again, and I agreed to help him build a snowfort at least once this winter. Hey, I didn't say today. I said ONCE. This WINTER. I'm secretly hoping there won't be any more snow. :-)

2 comments:

Lt. Dan said...

I'm starting to think your kid might be version 2.0 of me. I used to say the same sort of thing to my mother to explain away why I got in trouble. Sometimes it was even ture. ;)

shaz said...

I know, I know, he's probably stretching the truth a bit :-)

I don't really mind...I'm trying to get him to understand that it's "safe" to talk to me. If he did make it up, the boot scraping story was a pretty good one, so 10 points for being an on-the-spot-genius. If he's trying to pull the wool over my eyes, he'll likely pull the same stunt again, and I'll know about it. Either way, all kids goof around. I was the perfect student, so when I played classroom tricks, others got blamed, cuz who would believe I could do such a thing ;-)

And look- you turned out pretty alright- so I'm not concerned- yet.