Friday, December 16, 2005

What a Day!

Yesterday was absolutely nuts. I cannot believe I survived this. I had meetings all morning, and then a department Christmas lunch in the afternoon. That part was actually funny. We went to this place across the street and I kept making fun of everyone ordering all the Indian food at the pub. Honestly, it just looked wrong. The food didn't look right, and what the heck do pub dudes know about Indian food anyways? So, I thought I'd be all smart and order "typical" pub food- cheese burger and fries. Can I tell you- that was the most disgusting burger I ever ate in my life. If I hadn't skipped breakfast that morning, I wouldn't have bothered eating it, but I was so hungry that I ate it anyways. To be honest, even the Indian food would have been better. Not to mention I was ridiculously sick all night. I betcha that was food poisoning. Gross. That'll teach me for being cocky and making fun of the Indian food thing.

Anyhow, I left early to beat the snow storm and get home. After 3 hrs of driving, I made it back to my part of the city and went to pick up my daughter. When I got back, the clutch on my car had died. That's the weirdest thing. I drove for 3 hrs, and then it dies on me when I'm almost home. I know the mechanic told me to get a new car, but I re-evaluated and decided to wait and see, because it's too big an expense for me right now. Well, the joke's on me. Little by little different parts of this car die off on me. So now, I seriously have to re-think all of this. The funny thing is, I called my mechanic from the daycare and said "Um- what does it mean when you can't move the stick to a different gear in a manual car, like when you have to use two hands to force it to change gears?" Her reply "it means you didn't listen to me when I told you to get a new car". Everybody's a comedian.

So- I managed to get the car to the garage by around 6:30 and they took a quick look...The clutch is toast. And from before, I know the engine is toast. So, I need a new car. Called my parents to come get me and the kids, went to their house for dinner and borrowed my sister in law's car to get home. It's a Civic coupe lowered to the ground and all, so naturally I couldn't get it into the driveway. Had to shovel first. At 10pm. Have I mentioned that I hate shoveling?

Anyhow, by the time I got to bed it was late, and I was VERY ill from that pub food, so I was up all night...Yup...You guessed it. The old me in high school wouldn't have minded so much (throw up, lose the calories)...The older me doesn't like it much at all. Gross.

So, I'm trying to get caught up on work stuff (frantically), and my mind is on the fact that my car was parked overnight at the garage, and what the heck am I gonna do with it anyways? How quickly can I get another car? Funny- I was actually disappointed when the garage guy said he would park it inside overnight. If he had left it out, there would have been the chance someone could have vandalized it or tried to steal it (although they wouldn't have gotten far)...Even that would have better than dealing with the car myself :-) What a joke.

Anyhow, I'm sure everything happens for a reason. I'm sure the car dying in the middle of the biggest snow storm has some good to it (although I can't imagine what that would be), and that the extra expense of a new car will have good to it, (although I don't know why spending more money will be good right now)...OK cut the sarcasm....there's NO good in this deal, it's just all wrong. So, forget my dreams of the Volvo S40, I'm probably going to find a beat up Pinto. Ok, I'll stop with the salty attitude. Back to work...

No comments: