Sunday, March 04, 2007

A Sunday at Home


I'm home with the children, trying to get them back into a routine...getting them ready for school etc. I want them to be totally settled. I'm hoping for a normal week next week. I really can't afford to miss any more work.

My daughter has some interesting things to say today. Maybe it's because she's been calm this weekend, had a good weekend, and that she's had 2 straight weeks with me, with no access to her dad by phone or visit for over 10 days. Here is what she's been talking about:
  • Do you think dad has cameras installed in our house? How does he ever know what we tell you?
  • Did you know that dad says your his enemy? He hates you. He even tells us so.
  • Will your alarm tell us if daddy is nearby? Can you teach it to beep when he is near so we can leave out the back door? He's mean, so then he will think we are not home.
  • Can we try to never go back to dad's again?
I'm trying to figure out if these are her genuine concerns/anxiety, or if she's just feeding into the stuff that she's picked up on. I've avoided speaking about the situation around the children, but kids are really smart these days, and sometimes they pick up on stuff when we least expect it.
That, and the fact that you never know when they've overheard your conversations.

Anyhow, in light of the fact that I've been swamped this weekend running around, we haven't had a chance for the kids to do their weekend homework. We're having a massive catchup day, and I have to admit, the kids are hating the marathon homework. I felt really sorry for them, so I let them take a break and run around in the snow in the backyard. I dressed them up nice and warm and let them run outside while I prepared hot chocolate and a nice healthy snack. I peeked outside and couldn't resist snapping a pic of their smiling faces. It made me remember the time a friend at the office once told me that if there was snow outside when he was little, you couldn't keep him in the house.

I'm glad they're having fun. Anything to put a smile on their faces. There is nothing like the sound of a child's laughter. Especially to a single mom.

No comments: